Sloan Museum at Courtland Center
NEW Entry Time: Open Saturdays, 9:00-11:00 a.m.
Traveling Exhibit Tickets
Includes "Treasure!" as well as General Admission experiences.
Treasure! explores the history of treasure and treasure hunting, the technology employed in hunting treasure, as well as the people and personalities that hunt for treasure. A dozen hands-on activities allow visitors to try tools of treasure hunting and investigate treasures.Learn More
Includes Play Area, Historic Vehicles, Education Station, and Roll Drop Bounce
The play area has been carefully reconfigured to ensure social distancing. Four distinct sections create opportunities for kids to practice sharing and taking turns. The house area includes a grocery store, kitchen fun, and picnic tables. The playground area includes a climber and balance toys. The young children's area includes mats, building toys, puzzles, and a reading nook.Learn More
Historic Automobiles from Sloan Museum's Vehicle Collection
See concept cars, trucks, and classic cars dating from the early 1900s to the late 1980s, all with historic ties to Flint and Genesee County. Whether it was assembled in the area, entirely Flint-built, or features Flint-made parts, each vehicle helps tell a story about how the automotive industry shaped life in Flint—and how Flint helped put the world on wheels.
Museum educators present different hands-on science activities every day.
4190 E. Court St. Burton, MI 48509
Behind our masks, we are smiling from ear to ear as we welcome our community back to Sloan Museum at Courtland Center!
Capacity is limited to ensure social distancing. Advance ticket purchase is strongly recommended, as times frequently sell out.
Sloan Museum at Courtland Center Ticket Times
12:00-2:00 and 3:00-5:00 PM
Saturday only: 9:00-11:00 AM
We will close for an hour of cleaning in between each ticket time.
Sloan Museum is closed in observance of the following holidays:
New Years Eve & Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve & Day
4190 E. Court St. Burton, MI 48509
Sloan Museum is located inside Courtland Center, accessible through the Court St. mall entrance, right next to El Cozumel Mexican Grill.
We have been working hard to prepare the museum for your arrival and we can assure you that you will have a safe and fun experience when you visit. However, it will feel different from your past visits. We are not “going back to normal,” but are adapting with science-driven practices that will help keep our community safe.
Following CDC, state and local authorities’ guidelines, these are some of the changes you can expect:
1. Wear your mask. Remember to keep yourself and others safe by wearing your mask! Ages 6 and older must wear masks that cover the nose and mouth to enter. Masks are recommended for ages 3-5. You can bring your own masks or purchase at the ticket counter for $1 each. We understand that mask-wearing can be difficult for children. We encourage you to gently remind your children to keep their masks on when they forget. Mask-wearing is required throughout your visit.
2. Buy tickets in advance. Tickets are on sale now! Timed entry tickets for a two-hour visit to Sloan Museum ensure social distancing at limited capacity. Online ticket reservation helps us provide touchless entry; therefore, online transaction fees are waived. You can still pay with cash in person, but ticket times may sell out.
3. Play safe. Hand sanitizer will be available upon entry and throughout the space. When you arrive, please be ready to present your receipt on your mobile device or print your ticket. Staff will request your email address for contact tracing purposes. If you are not feeling well, please stay home and visit us when you’re feeling better.
4. Our robust cleaning practices have leveled up! We will close for an hour between ticket times at Sloan Museum so our cleaning crew can disinfect surfaces, hands-on components, and “high touch” areas, especially in the exhibits. Longway Planetarium will be disinfected between shows. At Longway Planetarium, we are installing a UV filtration in our HVAC systems and adding filtration to the Mars room and back offices. Sloan Museum at Courtland is upgrading HVAC to MERV 10 Filters.
5. Gift shop. The gift shops are open Wednesday through Sunday. Take science and history home with you with learning toys and memorabilia from our gift shops.
6. Virtual learning continues. If you cannot or do not wish to visit us during our first days back, we completely understand and look forward to welcoming you when you feel comfortable returning. In the meantime, join us for First Friday talks and Second Saturday Trivia Nights on Facebook Live.
Renovation and Expansion Project
Sloan Museum of Discovery will open in Spring 2022
Sloan Museum in the Flint Cultural Center is closed for renovation and will re-open in Spring 2022 as the new Sloan Museum of Discovery. We encourage you to visit our temporary exhibition space inside Courtland Center Mall. Visitors can enjoy over 30 historic automobiles from Sloan Museum's vehicle collection, as well as hands-on traveling exhibits and a family play area.
Sloan Museum’s renovation and expansion is a $27.5 million project. Over 95% of this goal has been raised through donations from private foundations, corporations, and individuals. Every gift makes an impact! Would you like to be part of the Discovery? Click to find out how you can buy an engraved brick, or make a donation in any amount.
We inspire our community by providing educational experiences in science and regional history through artifacts, outreach, exhibits, and programs. Sloan Museum and Longway Planetarium are funded in part by the Genesee County Arts Education and Cultural Enrichment Millage funds. Your tax dollars are at work.